Thursday, January 01, 2009

passion + talent and creativity = dream career

i have been in the media industry for almost a decade now. the job? well, kinda okay. the pay? great. the work? a lil bit boring.

well, i graduated with a degree in journalism from the University of the Philippines in Diliman. Two months after, i found myself in a startup PR-advertising firm in Makati as a writer. Four months into the job, i got `pirated' (?) by the most-read broadsheet of the Philippines (yeah. i am proud of being part of the Inquirer). Years went on. I wrote articles on occasional basis. Occasional in the sense that i got to write stories on assignment basis, unlike beat reporters who do fieldwork every day. In lieu of this, i stayed in the office with the editorial team and worked closely with section editors as i did layouts and copy editing for grammatical error and structure.

Apart from the perks and the prestige of being an Inquirer journalist, i enjoyed great bonuses together with other cash benefits, like subsidies and incentives. In exchange, holidays meant working overtime and getting additional pay.

however, doing the same thing day in day out for quite a long time made the job boring. so, during idle times in between work, i did the most predictable thing that a bored person usually does: surf the net; read a book, design my blogsite and website, watch clips from youtube, chat with friends and most recently, learn sketchup and photoshop from free turorials through the Internet.

Only one of the boredom busters mentioned above turned out to be beneficial. And that is educating myself about photoshop and sketchup. I have been enjoying editing pictures recently, and i look forward to doing interior designs soon.

I have always been interested in anything that has something to do with creativity: interior design, photography, fashion, culinary arts, animation, sketching and illustration, music and entrepreneurship. but on top of these is my great interest on interior design.

Everytime i visit the mall, i never fail checking out its decoration, furniture and home improvement corner. i have collected interior design magazines over the years, getting fascinated with apartment makeovers and interior space designs.

With my job making my life uninteresting, i finally discovered my passion for interior design. though i have tried warding off boredom by getting schooled with entrepreneurship in the graduate school of UST, i found it hard losing sight of my dream career. while working as a journalist, there is a part of me saying i belong to the creative world. so, upon enrollment in interior design, there was no turning back. besides, i am planning of putting up my own business as soon as i finish mba. first day of school is on monday.

i know. it would totally be a whole new world for me. a very different one. some might ask: what's a journalist doing in an interior design institution? well, i got the passion for it. talent and creativity follows. and declaring myself a licensed interior designer two or three years from now is exactly my idea of success: getting into my dream career, with or without the financial rewards.

No comments: